Thursday, November 24, 2016

Neurosurgery Appointment - October 12th, 2016

This morning we were rushing around to go to your neurosurgery appointment. Since we were going to be late, I was rushing around and I walked really fast around the corner and hit my toe on your daydreamer bed. I knew immediately that I broke my toe. Daddy didn't think I could break it on such a small piece of plastic, but when I started getting light headed and when I took off my sock and my toe was crooked, I knew it was broke. I couldn't miss your appointment, so I put ice on it and got in the car really quick before I passed out (I didn't pass out - but I felt really light headed and wanted to be in the car just incase). Great start to the morning!
I was in so much pain that daddy asked if I wanted him to drop me off at urgent care and he would take you to your appointment, but I said that I would just wait and go to urgent care after. We made it to your appointment, and we didn't even get called in until 11:00 (your appointment was at 10:00). We weren't going to see your neurosurgeon again, but I asked to see him and he came in. He said that you were doing great and that he takes all the credit for you "turning out to be a normal boy." He said that usually preemies have some issues when they are born that young, but you looked like you were doing just fine. He said that he wants to see you back in three months. He said he wants to follow you closely in your first year. You haven't needed any revisions yet, and hopefully you won't need any anytime soon. The neurosurgeon said that sometimes after a shunt is put in, the fluid finds somewhere to drain and you may not need the shunt to work.
He felt the top of your head where the reservoir is and said that if it is still that prominent when we come back in three months, you will need surgery to take it out. Usually when your skull closes, the reservoir is hidden, but that didn't happen with you. Since it is still that way, I am assuming that we will need another surgery to take out the reservoir. That will be your 4th surgery before you are 1 (assuming that you will have it done before you are 1). You are the strongest little boy I know.
When we got home, I went to urgent care and they did an x-ray. It was confirmed - my fourth toe was broken. They said to buddy tape it to the other toe and to wear a boot for 4 weeks. They said if it still hurt after 3 weeks to make an appointment with an orthopedic. I iced my foot the rest of the night and sat on the couch as much as I could. With a baby, it's kind of hard to stay off my feet when I have to change you and play with you!
PT and OT are still impressed with all that you are accomplishing. You are doing so well for everything that you have been through. We are amazed everyday. We love you so much and love seeing you grow (even though it is sad at the same time - time goes by so fast). Keep doing what you are doing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment