Sunday, May 15, 2016

Always Keeping Us On Our Toes - May 15th, 2016

This morning when I came to see you, you looked comfortable and your vitals were good. You had a new nurse who I haven't seen before, which I was confused about because I thought the nurse you had yesterday was supposed to have you again today. She was working, just not your nurse. The new nurse came while I was pumping, and asked me what part of your care I normally did. I told her temperature and diaper, and figured since she was early and I was still pumping, that she would wait. Well, she didn't. She did your diaper and I got to take your temperature later while I was holding you because she forgot.
When it was close to 11:00 am, I put you back so we could start the process all over again. I had hoped that starting to pump 5 minutes earlier would allow me to change your diaper. She came at 11:15 and id everything before I even finished pumping again. When she first came in and looked at you, she said "you probably just put him back, didn't you?" and of course I did so I said yes. Then she said "Wow, you put him back really well. Are you a nurse?" and when I said no, she said "you should be!" Trust me, I have thought about it through this whole journey, and as much as I would LOVE to go back to school and become a NICU nurse, it is too expensive. After your care, I went to have some lunch with daddy and mom-mom and then we were going to come back to visit again.
We got back around 1 pm and daddy held you for a little while. I held you for about 5-10 minutes because I had to pump soon, and I noticed that you were breathing really heavy. I thought it was because you were moving all around and just needed to relax, but that wasn't the case. I gave you back to daddy and after a little bit, decided I would tell the nurse (especially since the doctor came in this morning and asked if I noticed that you were retracting). When I couldn't find the nurse, I saw the doctor and told her that your RR was pretty high. She said that sometimes the lead can pick up your heart rate, but I didn't think that was the case. I could hear you breathing really fast. She looked at you and said that you usually have a higher baseline, and I said not that high! She decided to put you back on the cannula to see how you would do. Shortly after, you were breathing normal again. You just needed a little boost! Hopefully you will be off of it soon.
We left after your care (that I wasn't able to do again because she comes early) and I went shopping for you at Carter's. I brought back all your preemie clothes that you do not fit in anymore, and bought you some newborn clothes that you can wear in the hospital (the ones with snaps). Now you can wear more than the same 4 things over and over again!
I called to speak with the nurse to see how you were doing before she left at 7 pm. She said that with the cannula, you were breathing great. She said that she noticed that you do better when you are held, so she held you for a while. She said she loved working with you and the girls (our neighbors who we actually happen to know!) today. She was very nice, just early and I have a schedule that has been working for everyone, but now I know if I have her, I will have to change my schedule a bit.
Tomorrow I get to bring in your bouncer so that you can do something other than lay in your crib. Hopefully you like it! I feel like we are getting closer to you being able to come home, yet still so far. All of these new things we get to try, but I feel like there is always some set back. We are supposed to start working on breastfeeding tomorrow, but with your high RR, I am not sure if they will want to. If your cannula is in and your RR is normal, we can still try, so lets hope that we can try without any issues. Tomorrow the doctor also ordered another CBC, just to make sure that you aren't sick or anything. You don't seem like it, so lets pray that you aren't!
We love you and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. You always have something in store for us! Always keeping us on our toes. I hope you have a great night and you relax and calm down your breathing. See you in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment