Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Happy 3 Months! - May 25th, 2016

Today was our first full day at CHOP. We are back to our old schedule. Daddy dropped me off on the way to work this morning around 8 am. I came in to say good morning to you and then went to get some coffee and a muffin (Wednesdays at CHOP they have free coffee and muffins). I quickly went back in so that I did not miss rounds.
When the doctors came by, they didn't really have anything different to say. They said that speech would come in and evaluate you. They also said that they wanted to try you off of caffeine, but one of the doctors who worked with you the last time said he didn't know if that was a good idea. I think they were holding off on doing anything with that. Other than that, there was nothing new. They welcomed us back, and said they are sad to see us back, but happy we were there.
I held you for a bit after your care. The nurses got a message that there would be someone coming around for professional photos of kangaroo care if I was interested. Speech stopped by and asked if it would be okay for her to come around at about 11:40. I said that I was okay with it, but I just had to go eat lunch quick. I had some lunch and made sure that I was back for 11:40. Speech came and asked for your history. I told her everything we have been through. She said that she was going to start with paci dips. You did great. Then she said she wanted to work on the bottle with you. I was very nervous about that. She listened to you swallow and worked very slowly with you. You did fine while working with her. She then asked me if I wanted to feed you. Of course I did. I did exactly what she told me to do. You did well. You took 11 ml out of the 52 you need. She then said that she doesn't think you need a swallow study, and that you just need practice eating because you forget to breathe. When she taught me how to feed you, she said that I needed to count to 3 and then take the bottle completely out of your mouth so that you would swallow and breathe. It is a long process, but you need to practice.
I ended up signing up for the professional photos. The photographer was a respiratory therapist at the hospital and was a photographer on the side. He took a lot of pictures with us, and since you are three months today, he also took some photos of you and I with your board. He said that we would get the photos back next week.
At the 3 pm feed, I was able to try again. This time, you took 30 ml in about 40 minutes. The speech person came back after I was finished feeding you and I told her how well you did. She said that she was worried because some babies do well with one feeding, but not the next. She put up a sign that said exactly what the nurses needed to do to feed you so they could continue to do it throughout the night.
I called after your 9 pm feed and the nurse said that she saw the brady and desats that I was telling them about earlier. She said that she was watching your monitor as she was feeding you and when she saw your vitals go down she would stop. She said that she was being "strict" like the paper said to be, but it didn't seem like she was doing the 3-4 seconds and taking the bottle out of your mouth completely. I am going to call back and tell her that that is what she needs to do. I do feel bad calling and telling her what to do, but I also don't want you to go backwards when we had some progress today. Hopefully she takes it okay.
I will be there early again tomorrow and I hope you continue to do well. We love you and are so proud of you for today!