Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Surgery Update - April 19th, 2016

I almost was unable to post tonight - on one of the most important nights that I know everyone is looking for an update. My computer isn't working well so this is my 4th time restarting it and hopefully I can get through this!
Mommy, daddy, and your grandparents got there really early this morning so that we could see you before you went in for surgery. We all talked to you and prayed. They were late coming in to get you, but once they did, everything sort of went quick.
The neurosurgeon came and told us that everything went well. He said that you had a lot of pressure before they put the shunt in. He gave mommy and daddy a piece of the shunt, your second haircut, and the information for your shunt.
When you came back from surgery, you had two incisions. One behind your ear in your head, and the other near your belly. You are now intubated again. Throughout the day, they kept weaning you down so that they could eventually extubate you. They will most likely be doing that in the morning.
It took you a little bit to wake up, and even when you did, you were still sleepy for the day. They gave you some meds to help keep you comfortable.
Throughout the day, we all took turns (okay well mommy didn't - I stayed the whole time) coming to see you. The nurse said that you only had peed 1 cc so they were going to give you some fluids to see if that could make you go to the bathroom. After the fluids were finished, she waited a little bit before checking your diaper and you had went 11 cc's. Since you went to the bathroom, I felt comfortable leaving to get some rest since we had been up since 4 am. Around 4 pm mom-mom and pop-pop left and then at 5 mommy, daddy, grammy, and poppy left. We went to grab something to eat, and I called the nurse before her shift was over. She said that since we left, you only peed 1 cc again. They were going to get a bladder scan to see what was going on.
When I called again around 8:30 pm, the night nurse said that she was going to check your diaper with your care at 9 pm. No bladder scan had been done. She said that they were going to wait until the morning to extubate you. I told her that I would call at 10:30 to see how everything was. She didn't answer, but I just got off the phone with her now and she said that you peed 10 cc's with your 9 pm care and they were just going to monitor you and not do any tests yet. She said that they were holding off your feeds until tomorrow to see how you were doing and they would check your electrolytes in the morning as well.
Please continue to pray that everything goes well and that Mason is able to continue going to the bathroom with no problems. Also, please pray that there are no infections that develop, and that the shunt continues to work well.
We love you and are proud of you for staying so strong today. We will be there tomorrow to visit you and keep you some good company! We love you buddy!