Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Day of Surgery - March 16th, 2016

Since I slept in your room last night, I saw that you brady'd so many times. I couldn't even keep track. Some you came back on your own, and there was once instance where they had to put something up to you so that your heart rate would come back up.  Giving me so many heart attacks already!
This morning I kept waking up to the X-Ray technicians putting the shields on me as I was laying down next to your isolette. The first time they woke me up to do it, and the next two times they just put in on me as I was sleeping (I obviously woke up once they placed it on me). They kept wanting to make sure that your ventilator was in correctly before your surgery.
I figured it was time to wake up since so many people were coming in and out of your room, so I got up and got ready for the day. Your surgery was scheduled for 9 am but the nurse came in and told me that they moved it to 8/8:30 and to call daddy to let him know. The anesthesiologist came it to talk to me and asked if I had any questions. I did not. She said she would be back if I thought of anything. Daddy came and grammy and poppy and they got to say hi before you had your surgery. Daddy and I stayed behind to speak with the doctor before you had your surgery. (By the way - they did your surgery in your room in the isolette!) He said that the procedure should take 20 minutes and that you would wake up a few hours later.
We waited in the waiting room and the doctor came out and told us that the amount of fluid you had was not as bad as he thought, and he said that the bleeding was a yellow color which was a good thing. He said that he took out 10 cc's and he also gave us your hair from your "first haircut." He said that he thinks you will need a shunt once you are about 3.3-4.4 lbs. Your stomach also has to be doing well for the shunt to be placed. He said that the reservoir would either have to be drained every day, every other day, or maybe even every week. He wasn't sure yet, and would see how you were doing tomorrow. Your head circumference did go down from 26.5 to 26.25 after the surgery. They will be measuring daily.
It took you a while to wake up, but once you did you were definitely back to normal. You were kicking your legs all around and moving your arms all over. Your favorite is when you have both arms near your face and one of your legs kicked out of your snuggly! You are way too cute!
Mom-mom, pop-pop, grammy, and poppy came to see you after your surgery. We are only allowed to have four people at the hospital and their names have to be on our list (no switching out names) until March 31st. They won't even let people who are not on the list on your floor in the waiting room.
Since your surgery, I haven't seen you brady at all. I will keep watching you tonight, but I am hoping since some of the pressure is off of your brain that the brady's stop along with the vomiting. Your heart rate has been in the 150's most of your stay here at CHOP. They plan on starting your feeds again in the morning, so lets see how you do then.
You did an amazing job today. So many people have been praying for you buddy! So many people love you and support you in so many ways. We love you and are so proud of the little fighter that you are!!